Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Alternate Plans

So we had a major snowstorm on Sunday night.  My first thought was, "Fortunate that I got my run in early this morning".  My second thought was, "I won't be doing any running outside for a while . . . "  And I can't concretely say when I can start again because even though I've learned how to contend with the cold, I can't contend with ice.  Although the thought of running with traction cleats on my sneakers has crossed my mind, the hubby has looked me dead in my eye and said, "Absolutely not".  I think I will listen.

But I just have to say.  Last Friday, I was in a horrible mood.  I couldn't pull myself out of it.  It was a fairly mild day and the hubby was off so I decided to go for a quick run.  The change in my attitude was undeniable.  I felt so much better . . . and there's really no other exercise that works that effectively for turning my mood and overall feeling of livelihood and wellness around.  So I'm really, really looking forward to when I can hit the road again.

In the interim, I took the money I got for my birthday and bought some new DVDs.  I will review them as I do them.  I'm also back to consistently borrowing DVDs from the library. There's a chance that my local library will be closing at the end of this year, though.  I can hardly believe I just typed that but it seems that with the new budget, the library will not have the funds to continue operating.  If it closes, I'll have to go to a different town to pick up things I have on hold.  Still, it's worth it to get DVDs from the library just to mix it is up and keep things interesting.  

Today, I did a DVD by Jillian Michaels calledThe Biggest Winner--How to Win by Losing Cardio Kickbox.  It was about 30 minutes.  (I really liked that it was 30 minutes.)  Ms. Michaels was her usual self.  The workout was okay--not great.  I built up a little sweat but kept wondering if I was in my target range.  (I know I should get a heart-rate monitor.  What I'd really like to get is a heart-rate monitor/GPS combo watch but it keeps getting pushed back: first I needed to get appropriate winter running attire and now I'm making the choice to go for some more DVDs to work out inside during these snowy days.)  I recently did another DVD, The Hollywood Trainer Kickboxing Bootcamp, and if you're looking for a solid kickboxing/strength training routine, this is the one for you.  I purchased this one and I'm happy I did.  

Another DVD I borrowed from the library but decided to purchase is Core Fusion Yoga Energy Flow.  I really enjoyed doing the routines from this DVD. Each one is 10 minutes so I can mix things up and never get bored. Sometimes after a weight lifting workout or a run, I will do one of the routines just to stretch me out and relax me so it's great that each one is short and to the point. I found the music to be lively and upbeat but not distracting. I especially love Ms. Halfpapp's instructional style (I like Mr. DeVito's too but something about Ms. Halfpapp is so relaxing). I like the clear instructions and the fact that every routine in this dvd is fun and energizing and effective. It is great to do in the morning or really, any time.  It's not really orthodox yoga--it's definitely a fusion of many different styles but I really like how it breaks things up and adds a different twist to what I'm doing. This is so necessary in these dreary winter months.   I'm glad that I purchased it.   

So with the new DVDs that I've purchased, I think I should be good for inside exercise.  I'll also have Insanity so I can throw that into the mix for some . . . insanity.  Focusing on keeping my fitness going and growing keeps me from focusing on the cold and the snow.  It feels a whole lot better to focus on things that I can control and just ride out things I can't.  

No comments:

Post a Comment